Thursday, May 29, 2008

Calls and More Calls

Today, Mom and I went to the Moran campaign HQ to make more phone calls. I'm still confused about how the whole thing will work in terms of the Moran campaign paying for Denver, but from what I can gather, if I get the most "points" in my jurisdiction (Arlington), they'll pay for hotel and airfare.

Points are awarded as follows:
*Call made/door knocked: 1 point
*Voter ID'd (aka supporter found): 2 points
*Volunteers Recruited: 1 point

Now, I haven't had much luck in getting volunteers, but I have made a lot of calls and found a good number of supporters. I've found a good number of people who are too old to understand what I'm telling them too, but what can you do. The numbers are as follows:

May 20
83 calls, 10 supporters = 83 + 2(10) = 103

May 29
Me: 66 calls, 15 supporters = 66 + 2(15) = 96
Mom: 45 calls, 22 supporters = 45 + 44 = 89

Total: 103 + 96 + 89 = 288

Now, I have no idea if that's a respectable total or not. Every time I go in, there's no one there. I've talked to Evan (who's an Alternate to the National Convention from the 8th District), and he's trying to do the same thing, and also has no idea where he stands. It's all very confusing, but I figure it can't hurt. The worst that would happen is that our Congressman gets reelected and I still have to pay for Denver. I'm basically in that position now except our Congressman is being challenged.

Mom, Anne, and Eugenia (maybe some other people as well) are going to go make calls in my name next week. Hopefully, my job will permit me to make calls as well. Then I would have the benefit of not having to pay for my really nice hotel room in Denver! They're putting us up at the Crowne Plaza in Downtown Denver very close to the Pepsi Center.

Regardless, it'll be an awesome experience and I'm excited to be a part of it! OBAMA '08!!

86 days until the Convention.
160 days until the General Election.
235 days until Barack Obama is sworn is as the next President of the United States.

No comments: