Saturday, May 17, 2008

Virginia 8th District Convention

So today, I went to the Virginia 8th District Convention as an Obama Alternate Delegate, meaning if one of the Arlington Obama delegates didn't show up, I could take their spot. But of course everyone showed up, so I was just there for fun and to hear from our lovely elected officials: Sen. Jim Webb, Rep. Jim Moran, and Mayor Bill Euille of Alexandria.

Also, I was there running as a District-Level National Delegate, meaning I would get to go to Denver and the DNC Convention. However, the Obama campaign had chosen a slate of 5 candidates to go to the convention, to try and ensure that the delegation would represent the diversity of the district. The delegates didn't have to choose them, but they were a slate, nonetheless. So I wasn't getting my hopes up. I was just there to see how the whole thing worked and get my name out there so I could run successfully in four years.

Then I gave the following speech:

"Hello. My name is Bridgit Donnelly. I graduated from Washington-Lee High School last year, and I just finished my first year at Barnard College in New York City. I stand before you today to wholeheartedly endorse Barack Obama. You may not think my endorsement means much, but consider this. I am one of the many youth who have never been involved in politics besides reading the morning paper or maybe making some phone calls for a local candidate. One of the many who thought you had to know somebody to be involved with processes like these.

At the beginning of this year, I never imagined I would be standing before you today. I never imagined that I would forgo schoolwork to host phone banking parties out of my dorm. I never imagined that I would march from 135th Street in Harlem down to 59th Street in Columbus Circle with a group of 100 or so other Obama supporters, chanting "Yes We Can!" I never imagined that I would give up my Spring Break to go to Pennsylvania and register young people to vote for the first time. I never imagined I would skip school to go back and help them get to the polls. I never imagined that I would actually read the enormously long document explaining the procedure of how to file to run for National Delegate. And I especially never imagined that just two days ago I would sign the paperwork to take the fall semester off to campaign for Barack Obama.

But standing in Washington Square Park on a beautiful September evening, something happened. Standing there, with people from every walk of life - young, old, rich, poor, black, white, Hispanic, Asian - all there to hear Barack Obama speak, I realized that if we can all come together, we can all have a say this year. It's not like the elections of years past. You don't need to know somebody to make a difference. This year, WE get to decide what we want for our future. And WE choose Senator Barack Obama because WE know that he has brought people together across this country. We know that WE have made a difference.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a spectacular group of people running for National Delegate. We have all worked extremely hard to get Senator Obama to where he is today. And I know that we will all work even harder to get him to the White House. I know that I do not have much of a chance at getting to the National Convention as a District-elected Delegate. I am just grateful for the chance to stand among such a dedicated group of people and be considered for this position. Thank you for considering me, and I look forward to Barackin' the Vote with all of you in November. Thank you."


The delegates were extremely inspired and kept telling me how awesome my speech was. Was it really that good? Well then, thanks Prof. Stokes for teaching me how to write a speech in Reacting! Anyway, I was still not hopeful. Many of the delegates had come to the convention knowing who they were voting for. Some had even already turned in their ballots and left before I spoke (I mean, we had been there for 6 hours!). So I wasn't hopeful.

But then people started coming over and telling me they had voted for me. People from every Virginia Democratic group were trying to get me involved and giving me their business cards. While I was chatting with the Obama campaign representative about helping them out, a man came over and said, "It looks good for you." I didn't want to believe him until he said, "I was in the room counting. It looks really good."

Sure enough, minutes later, Mayor Euille was saying, "The female delegates will be Cristina Chiappe, and the young woman from Arlington who stole all of our hearts, Bridgit Donnelly."

So there you have it. I'm going to Denver as a Delegate! Like, I'll be on the floor when Barack gives his speech! I won't have to sneak in or hope I get a good volunteer post. I'm gonna be there! Thanks again to everyone in the 8th District who voted for me! I promise I will serve you well!

No comments: